Sunday, December 7, 2008

Success & Doubts

Some time has passed since I last shared my thoughts, nearly two months to be exact. I am still very much involved in the master's program, and I thrive during the Wednesday night discussions that take up most of our class time. Initial fears are beginning to subside. That's usually how it goes when your efforts meet with success. My "Reflection on Education" earned a perfect 40/40, and I think my principal shadowing paper was among the highest in the class.

Slowly, I am regaining my confidence as a writer, but I find that putting my thoughts into words takes more time than it once did. That may be simply because I'm out of practice, or it may be because I have never tried to wrestle with such complex ideas. My personal philosophy paper, which could be finalized by tomorrow, is a perfect example. I've spent at least 25 hours over the past two weeks trying to envision what it will take to succeed as an educational leader. The result is a 5 page paper that basically ends by insisting failure is not an option. Realizing that was a tough pill to swallow, and even now, I doubt my ability to live up to such a monumental task. Doubt, however, is no excuse for not trying. G'night.

1 comment:

Scott McLeod said...

Steven, I didn't know you had a blog! Awesome!

My suggestion: Once a week, blog 2-3 paragraphs on what you're thinking regarding school leadership. Don't worry about style, voice, or whatever. Just get out what's in your head...

Can't wait to read more!